Jonestown Election Information
2023 Jonestown General Election, November 7, 2023
The following City Council positions will be filled in the upcoming General Election:
- Mayor (Paul Johnson, Current Office Holder),
- Council Member, Place 1 (Eric Davis, Current Office Holder)
- Council Member, Place 3 (Tom Buckle, Current Office Holder)
Applications can be filed:\ In person with the City Secretary during normal business hours, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. beginning July 22, 2023 and ending at 5:00 p.m. on August 21, 2023. Since July 22 falls on a Saturday, the first day to file in person is Monday, July 24, 2023.\ By mail**City Secretary, City of Jonestown, 18649 FM 1431, Suite 4A, Jonestown, Texas 78645 beginning July 22, 2023 and ending at 5:00 p.m. on August 21, 2023.
- NOTICE of Deadline to File Applications for Place on the Ballot (Aviso de fecha limite para presentar solicitudes para un lugar en la boleta)
In accordance with State law, the candidate filing period for the November 7, 2023 General Election begins July 24, 2023, and ends on August 21, 2023.
To file for candidacy, you must meet the following qualifications:
- must be a citizen of the United States;
- must be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable;
- must have resided continuously in Texas for 12 months and in the City of Jonestown for 6 months immediately preceding filing deadline (12 months residency in the City of Jonestown is required to file for mayor);
- must be a registered voter in the territory elected from by the filing deadline;
- shall not have been convicted of a felony for which he/she has not been pardoned or had his/her civil rights restored by other official action. Texas Election Code §141.001
- Voter Registration Information
- Current Election Information
- Travis County Election Results
- Travis County Clerk -Elections Division
- Texas Ethics Commission
- Secretary of State - Elections Division
- Travis County’s New Voting System
- Election Resources
Qualified persons may file as a candidate between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the City Secretary’s Office at City Hall, 18649 FM 1431, Suite 4A, Jonestown, Texas. There is no filing fee.
Candidate information packets may be obtained from the City Secretary’s Office beginning July 24, 2023, or you may download forms as needed below:
Packet 1: Candidate forms and information needed to file for candidacy:
Notice to Potential Candidates
Texas Election Law is very specific in many areas and the linked material below contains information and forms for the General Election. The information includes the following:
- Application for a place on the City of Jonestown General Election Ballot
- Form CTA Appointment of Campaign Treasurer by a Candidate
- CTA Instruction Guide - The CTA form is to be filed in the City Secretary’s office at the same time as the above application. If you choose modified reporting, the back of the form must be completed. Also, note the statement that must be signed regarding the nepotism law.
- Form CFCP Code of Fair Campaign Practices
- Fair Campaign Practices Act - Subscription to the Code of Fair Campaign Practices is voluntary. If you choose to subscribe to the Code, the CFCP form can be filed with the City Secretary’s office after submitting your campaign treasurer appointment form.
Packet 2: Once you have filed your application with the City Secretary, you may utilize the following forms as needed during the campaign:
- See ”Starting and Ending Your Campaign” and ”FAQ’s for Candidates” on the Texas Ethics Commission website.
- 2022 Candidate Calendar and Schedule for Reports Due
- Campaign Finance Guide
- Form C/OH, Candidate/Officeholder Campaign Finance Report
- Form C/OH Instruction Guide
- Form UD, Unsworn Declaration
- Form C/OH-UC, Candidate/Officeholder Report of Unexpended Contributions
- Form C/OH-UC Instruction Guide
- Form CIS, Conflicts Disclosure Statement
- Form CIQ, Conflict of Interest Questionnaire
- Form ACTA, Amendment to Appointment of Campaign Treasurer
- Form ACTA, Instruction Guide
- Form COR-C/OH, Correction/Amendment Affidavit for Candidate/Officeholder
- Pamphlet, “Political Advertising - What You Need to Know” ( All of the above forms and documents are available on the Texas Ethics Commission website)
- Copy of City of Jonestown sign ordinances
- TxDOT Notice Regarding Political Signs (Note: Improperly placed signs will be removed by City personnel or by the Texas Department of Transportation if they are in the FM 1431 right of way. Signs must be removed 72 hours after the election. If you have a question about signs, please contact city staff by calling the city’s Building Department, 512-267-0359 or by e-mailing Cindy Jolly.
- Booklet, ”A Guide to Becoming a City Official”
- Certificate of Withdrawal (Secretary of State form AW-316) (instructions)
It is your responsibility as a candidate to become familiar with the laws applicable to campaign contributions and expenditures. Adherence to the financial reporting procedures and deadlines is essential, since campaign reports are considered open records and thus open to the scrutiny of media and opponents. Should you have any questions regarding reporting procedures, contributions for expenditures, please call the Texas Ethics Commission office at 512-463-5800 or visit their web site, https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/
The duties of the City Secretary are limited to accepting and filing the various applications, affidavits and statements, and noting the date and time of filing thereon. The City Secretary is not able to judge or comment upon the timeliness or accuracy of any reports filed, or assist with forms completion.